SEL at Home
Student development is a journey we are on with families. Schools and families working together to create safe and supportive environments helps our children thrive. SEL starts at home.
1. Take time to talk: share your feelings, help identify and name your child’s feelings.
2. Teach and model: be an example for positive ways to handle stress, disappointments and anger.
3. Raise awareness: Use story-time or shows to ask your child how they would feel if they were in a similar situation of the character.
4. Allow children think time: ask questions to help your child problem solve versing jumping to to give advice to fix the problem.
5. Discuss consequences by asking questions: What might happen if you do that? or How might you feel if you were in that situation?
Check out this video to learn more. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2d0da6BZWA